Lighting the Ooni Karu 16 Wood Fired Pizza Oven Tips!
The Ooni Karu 16 pizza oven has a good-sized grate, suitable for small logs.
Using a wood-fired pizza oven on a freezing cold Winter’s day is a great experience.
It’s much better than cooking in the rain and wind, undercover. But that’s exactly what I did last week – check my Winter Rain Cooking Video here!
I topped this pizza with cheese and some delicious hot honey sauce and it tasted so nice – the crust was lovely and crispy.
In this video, I show how I light the Ooni Karu 16 Pizza Oven, and here are my top tips!
- Make sure the chimney vents are open – the one on the chimney and the vent on the inside by the door.
- Keep your grate clean, ready for the fuel. I use 50% lump wood and 50% kindling to start off the fire.
- Once the fire has established after 5 minutes, add your logs. This will increase the temperature of the oven very quickly.
- I use real-wood, very low moisture logs, sized between 9 inches and 2 inches.
Wood fired pizza ovens are easy to use - just check the grate is topped up with logs and lumpwood after each pizza cook.
- 5 minutes before your pizza cook, if you need to, add a fresh log, or if there is less space, add some kindling. This will give you enough of a flame for your pizza cook.
Check out our pizza dough recipe here.
Check out our Pizza Stone Cleaning Video here.
Enjoy your outdoor pizza oven cooking!
I’ve created a Pizza for Beginners – Learning to Cook Pizza and How to Use Pizza Ovens YouTube playlist that gives some great tips to help you with your learning to cook pizza journey!
Check out our YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/c/Got2EatPizza
First Cook with the NEW Ooni Karu 12G Pizza Oven!
We cook in and review the NEW Ooni Karu 12G...