10 Top Tips to Light the Ooni Fyra 12 Pizza Oven
Once the pellets in the Ooni Fyra 12 have been lit – just top up the hopper and keep an eye on it whilst you make your pizza.
- Ensure the grate area and hopper are free from debris and ash so that air can circulate around the burner.
- Good Quality Pellets – they don’t need to be expensive – you may need to test out a few different brands. The pellets that don’t smoke and give high heat with be the best. Always store your pellets in a very dry place.
- Lighters – there are a number of ways to light the pellets – I use a butane gas burner torch – it is quick and easy to use.
- Re-light – if you need to re-light the pellets, just remove the pellet burner from the oven and light it again, and replace back into the oven. You may need gloves for this!
- The Flame – when the pellets have just been lit you may need to pull the flame to make it stronger by opening the hopper and/or the pizza door.
- Keep an eye on the flame for the next minute – the pellets should provide a good flame. Once this has happened add one scoop of pellets into the hopper.
- 3 minutes later – add pellets right to the top of the hopper and keep it topped up whilst you prepare your pizza.
Ensure the grate and hopper are clear of ash and debris before you start to cook.
- In about 15 minutes your oven will be hot enough to cook your pizza.
- If your stone gets too hot – i.e. over 430c in the centre, reduce the heat off the stone quickly by using a cast-iron pan. This pulls the temperature off the stone by about 100c in 60 seconds.
- If you are cooking lots of pizza, you may need to check the grate for ash blockages. Air circulation is key to keeping a constant and strong flame.
Overall, lighting and heating the Ooni Fyra 12 Pizza Oven is quick and easy to do. I just make sure that I keep the hopper topped up at all times.
I’ve created a Learning to Cook Pizza YouTube playlist that gives some great tips to help you with your learning to cook pizza journey!
Check out our YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/c/Got2EatPizza